Thanks to Hurricane Lane, some cruisers will be staying at sea a bit longer than they had originally anticipated… and others will find their own cruise delayed and itinerary altered.
Norwegian Cruise Ship Stays At Sea
According to a spokesperson from Norwegian Cruise Line, their ship, Pride of America, has changed its itinerary in order to remain well clear of the storm’s path. “Due to Hurricane Lane in the Pacific,” they say, “we have modified the itinerary for Pride of America. The ship is currently out at sea, away from the storm. Pride of America is expected to return to Honolulu on Sunday, August 26th.”
As for the ship’s next scheduled sailing, it will wind up sailing two days later than expected. “The previously scheduled August 25th sailing will be delayed until Monday, August 27th,” the spokesperson’s statement continues. “Embarkation will be available on both Sunday, August 26th and Monday, August 27th.”
This is, of course, going to cause some difficulties for a majority of guests on both sailings. “We understand the disappointment and inconvenience travelers are experiencing as a result of the weather conditions in Hawaii,” the statement concluded. “Our team is working dilligently to assist our guests, including deploying our Care Team to Honolulu. We encourage guests to continue to monitor NCL.com for updates.”
According to Seatrade Cruise News, when the ship departs on Monday, August 27th, the new itinerary will feature Hilo on Tuesday, Maui on Wednesday and an overnight in Kaua before returning to Honolulu on Saturday, September 1.
The Situation In Hawaii
According to the New York Times, Hurricane Lane — currently a Category 2 storm — has so far caused “torrential rain, surging floodwaters and road-clogging landslides on the state’s Big Island.” Additionally, thanks to increased winds, a brush fire on the western side of the island was spreading quickly while around 4,000 people had lost power.
- Cruise Line Thanks Authorities Who Brought Home Stranded Guests
- Sick Cruise Ship Gets Approval to Dock in Florida
- Cruise Podcast: Royal Caribbean’s Explorer of the Seas 2020 + News
- How to Make Fruit Loop Crusted French Toast
- Carnival Sunrise Virtual Cruise Day 2, Fun Day At Sea
- Carnival Cancels Additional Sailings, Including Alaska and Europe
- Cancellations, Compensation and Refund Policies by Cruise Line
- Viking Launches Mississippi River Cruises
- Carnival Sunrise Virtual Cruise To Nowhere, Day 1
- How to Use a Future Cruise Credit