Princess Cruises has announced plans to expand their partnership with Discovery at Sea. The focus of the new undertaking will be the youth centers aboard the line’s ships, including new experiences and designs to help kids learn, play, and create fun memories.
The multi-million dollar investment is currently rolling out across the fleet, as part of the line’s agreement with Discovery Consumer Products – the company behind the Discovery Channel. Catering to specific age groups, the new project will feature three centers where kids and teens can make new friends, and participate in a selection of specially designed activities.
Camp Discovery Centers
The Treehouse – Ages 3-7 (Formerly Pelicans)
A bright, whimsical forest and animal-themed space awaits some of the littlest cruisers in this fun youth center. Hands-on activities will focus on playtime, creativity, and exploring the world around them.
The Lodge – Ages 8-12 (Formerly Shockwaves)
Inspired by the outdoors, this cozy space is filled with sports activities and fun places for kids to explore, hang out, and lounge with their new friends.
New Camp Discovery destination-themed programs will focus on the Caribbean, Alaska, and Europe to immerse young guests in the culture, nature, and customs of the regions they’re visiting. Other key experiences in the Camp Discovery (both Treehouse and Lodge age groups) include:
- Shark Hunters: investigate mysterious Caribbean sharks on an interactive scavenger hunt
- Join dance classes and engage in some friendly competition
- MythBusters Science Activities: try three hands-on challenges, featuring Tori Belleci from the show
- Survive Alaska: invent tools to survive the harsh environment of The Last Frontier
- Learn the science of magic or become an engineer for a day with programs from the California Science Center
- Discovery at Sea theme days with activities inspired by Shark Week and Animal Planet
- Wild Alaska Festival: Celebrate Alaskan nature at this family theme night
- Create a solar system or build a ‘stomp rocket’ inspired by Science Channel
- Compete: join the Klutz paper airplane challenge or LEGO boat-building contest
- [email protected]: Learn cake decorating and share the results with your family
The Beach House – Ages 13-17 (Formerly Remix)
The Beach House offers a contemporary surf-themed lounge for teens to hang out and socialize with each other. Some activities in this space include:
- Movies: try not to be afraid during Scary Movie Night, or catch some recent hits at Late Night Movies
- Rock the Boat Party: here’s the occasion to dress up, stroll the red carpet, then enjoy an evening of mocktails, awards, and celebrating with friends
- Dance Classes: perfect your moves with guidance from a crew dancer, then show your moves at competitions and parties
- Compete: play in video game, air hockey, foosball, and ping pong tournaments
The new programs are already onboard Grand Princess, and will be rolling out on Caribbean Princess and Regal Princess next. It will go fleetwide throughout the next couple of years.