Carnival Elation had set sail from Port Canaveral for a five-night cruise to Amber Cove and Grand Turk on Saturday when the ship started experiencing technical issues. As a result, the ship had to alter its itinerary.
And while that may not be the kind of news passengers want to hear, they did wind up being rewarded for their patience and understanding.
On Sunday evening, the captain sent out a letter explaining the problem and how it would impact the itinerary. “We are experiencing an issue that is affecting our maximum cruising speed,” he wrote.
Our team has been working through the night to complete the necessary work. It is now apparent that we will not be able to visit Amber Cove and Grand Turk, as planned. We have been able to secure an overnight stay in Nassau. We will arrive on Monday at 8:00 AM and depart on Tuesday at 8:00 AM.”
As a result of the unexpected itinerary change, guests on the sailing are receiving a $100 onboard credit along with a 50 percent future cruise credit.
Carnival told Cruise Radio, “Despite our best efforts, we have been unable to complete the necessary work and will not be able to visit Amber Cove and Grand Turk. However, we have been able to secure an overnight stay in Nassau. The ship will arrive on Monday at 8:00 AM and depart on Tuesday at 8:00 AM. Guests are receiving an onboard credit and a future cruise credit along with our sincere apologies for this unexpected change. Our crew is dedicated to making sure our guests have a great cruise.”
Carnival Elation, a Fantasy-class vessel which joined the fleet in 1998, is due back to Port Canaveral on Thursday. The cruise line hasn’t said if the next cruise will be impacted.
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of March 22, 2020
- First Hospital Ship En Route to New York City
- Cruise Line Rescue Could Come At A Price
- Seattle Puts 2020 Cruise Season On Pause
- Carnival Australia Extends Cruise Cancellations
- How to Change or Cancel a Carnival Cruise
- Royal Caribbean Suspends Cruises Until At Least May 12
- Closing Bell Update: Cruise Line Stocks Rebound
- Carnival Cruise Line Extends Pay For Displaced Crew Members
- Behind The Fight To Keep Cruise Lines Afloat