Carnival Cruise Line’s brand new Mardi Gras made her inaugural visit to Rotterdam, the Netherlands on Tuesday. The ship was handed over to the cruise line from Meyer Turku at its shipyard in Finland last Friday, and is now making preparations for her inaugural voyage in April.
Before the ship makes her way to her new homeport of Port Canaveral, Florida, she’ll be stopping in a few European ports to embark crew and to take on supplies.
At 180,000 gross registered tons, Mardi Gras is the cruise line’s first cruise ship powered by Liquefied Natural Gas, and include the first roller coaster at sea, BOLT. The ship also has other new-to-Carnival features such as an all-glass atrium, Excel Suites, and expanded culinary partnerships including Emeril’s Bistro 1396, a casual New Orleans-themed venue created with celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse.
Reminiscent of Royal Caribbean’s Oasis-class ship “neighborhoods,” Mardi Gras will be Carnival’s first ship to be divided into distinct “zones.” They are:
- Grand Central — the atrium, Java Blue Café, Bonsai Sushi and Teppanyaki, Punchliner Comedy Club, and Piano Bar 88
- French Quarter — Emeril’s Bistro 1396, The Brass Magnolia bar, and the Fortune Teller Bar
- Summer Landing — Guy’s Pig & Anchor Smokehouse|Brewhouse, The Watering Hole bar, a pool with sundeck, and Swirls soft-serve ice cream
- La Piazza — Cucina del Capitano restaurant, 24/7 pizzeria, a bar serving Italian cocktails, and Rudi’s Seagrill — a Mediterranean-themed seafood restaurant created with Chef Rudi Sodamin
- Lido — the ship’s main pool, the two-story RedFrog Tiki Bar, Guy’s Burger Joint, Seafood Shack, BlueIguana Cantina, and Big Chicken created with Shaq
- The Ultimate Playground — WaterWorks aqua park, SportSquare with a ropes course, mini golf, and more, and the BOLT roller coaster
From Port Canaveral, Mardi Gras will sail alternating voyages to the eastern and western Caribbean. The eastern itinerary will include calls at Grand Turk, Amber Cove in the Dominican Republic, and San Juan, Puerto Rico. The western itinerary will stop in Cozumel and Costa Maya, Mexico; and Mahogany Bay in Roatán, Honduras.
Mardi Gras Arrives Rotterdam [VIDEO]
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of January 10, 2021
- Adventures By Disney To Launch Expedition Cruising In Antarctica, Galapagos
- Oceania Announces Epic 180-Night World Cruise
- 2021 Cruising: Halifax Cruise Port Hopes For Best, Plans For Worst
- Carnival Corp. Celebrates Float-Out of New Ship
- Plugged-In: Electricity To Play Bigger Role In Powering Cruise Ships
- Cruise News Briefs — January 15, 2021 [VIDEO]
- All Air Travelers Coming Into U.S. Will Require Negative Test
- Celebrity Returns to Mexican Riviera Cruising After 8 Year Hiatus
- Bookings Open For Holland America’s 2022 Alaska Cruises
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Grand Cayman Says Cruise Ships Unlikely To Return in 2021
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Carnival Begins Construction on Next Mega Cruise Ship
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
All Air Travelers Coming Into U.S. Will Require Negative Test
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Royal Caribbean Will Cruise From New Homeport Next Winter