Carnival Cruise Line’s brand new Mardi Gras made her inaugural visit to Rotterdam, the Netherlands on Tuesday. The ship was handed over to the cruise line from Meyer Turku at its shipyard in Finland last Friday, and is now making preparations for her inaugural voyage in April.
Before the ship makes her way to her new homeport of Port Canaveral, Florida, she’ll be stopping in a few European ports to embark crew and to take on supplies.
At 180,000 gross registered tons, Mardi Gras is the cruise line’s first cruise ship powered by Liquefied Natural Gas, and include the first roller coaster at sea, BOLT. The ship also has other new-to-Carnival features such as an all-glass atrium, Excel Suites, and expanded culinary partnerships including Emeril’s Bistro 1396, a casual New Orleans-themed venue created with celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse.
Reminiscent of Royal Caribbean’s Oasis-class ship “neighborhoods,” Mardi Gras will be Carnival’s first ship to be divided into distinct “zones.” They are:
- Grand Central — the atrium, Java Blue Café, Bonsai Sushi and Teppanyaki, Punchliner Comedy Club, and Piano Bar 88
- French Quarter — Emeril’s Bistro 1396, The Brass Magnolia bar, and the Fortune Teller Bar
- Summer Landing — Guy’s Pig & Anchor Smokehouse|Brewhouse, The Watering Hole bar, a pool with sundeck, and Swirls soft-serve ice cream
- La Piazza — Cucina del Capitano restaurant, 24/7 pizzeria, a bar serving Italian cocktails, and Rudi’s Seagrill — a Mediterranean-themed seafood restaurant created with Chef Rudi Sodamin
- Lido — the ship’s main pool, the two-story RedFrog Tiki Bar, Guy’s Burger Joint, Seafood Shack, BlueIguana Cantina, and Big Chicken created with Shaq
- The Ultimate Playground — WaterWorks aqua park, SportSquare with a ropes course, mini golf, and more, and the BOLT roller coaster
From Port Canaveral, Mardi Gras will sail alternating voyages to the eastern and western Caribbean. The eastern itinerary will include calls at Grand Turk, Amber Cove in the Dominican Republic, and San Juan, Puerto Rico. The western itinerary will stop in Cozumel and Costa Maya, Mexico; and Mahogany Bay in Roatán, Honduras.
Mardi Gras Arrives Rotterdam [VIDEO]
- Carnival Leads Port Canaveral Return with Mardi Gras Sailing
- Odyssey of the Seas Prepares For Inaugural Cruise
- Your Backstage Pass to Carnival Cruise Line’s VIP Party for Mardi Gras [PHOTOS]
- Viking Resumes Cruises on the Seine and Rhône Rivers in France
- Holland America Takes Delivery of New Flagship
- Royal Caribbean Adds Testing Requirement For All on U.S. Cruises
- Carnival Horizon, a Journey in Photos Day 4: Sea Day, Part 2
- Cruise News Today — July 30, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Everything You Need to Know About Mardi Gras’ Loft 19 and Its Cabanas
- Miami Added as Embarkation Port For Bahamas Cruises
BEFORE YOU CRUISE3 days ago
MENU: Guy’s Pig & Anchor Smokehouse on Carnival’s Mardi Gras
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Two Big Changes to Guy Fieri Restaurants on Mardi Gras
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Mexican Port Welcomes First Cruise Ship After 16 Months
EDITORIAL5 days ago
Carnival Cruise Line Offers Sneak Peek of Mardi Gras