Carnival Corporation has announced that a new venture with China State Shipbuilding Corporation (CSSC) will launch this week under the name CSSC Carnival Cruise Shipping Limited.
The new cruise company plans to operate its own fleet serving the Chinese market by the end of 2019. They’ve announced an agreement to purchase two existing ships from one of Carnival Corporation’s other lines, Costa Cruises. The first of these ships, the 2,210-guest Costa Atlantica, is scheduled to be transferred by the end of 2019. Atlantica‘s sister ship Costa Mediterranea will be transferred after that on a date to be announced.
CSSC Carnival Cruise Shipping Limited has also signed an agreement to order two newbuilds that will be constructed in China by Shanghai Waigaoqiao Shipbuilding Co., Ltd., a leading Chinese-owned shipyard in Shanghai. The first of these ships is expected to be delivered in 2023.
“The official launch of our cruise joint venture in China is a significant milestone in the strategic development of a strong and sustainable cruise industry in China,” said Arnold Donald, CEO of Carnival Corporation. “Together with our partners, we are excited about our ability to launch a new cruise line in China based on existing ships and new China-built cruise ships tailored for Chinese travelers.”
As previously announced in June, Costa Group will also be introducing two new ships specifically designed for the Chinese market: Costa Venezia in spring 2019 and its sister ship in fall 2020.
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of January 10, 2021
- Adventures By Disney To Launch Expedition Cruising In Antarctica, Galapagos
- Oceania Announces Epic 180-Night World Cruise
- 2021 Cruising: Halifax Cruise Port Hopes For Best, Plans For Worst
- Carnival Corp. Celebrates Float-Out of New Ship
- Plugged-In: Electricity To Play Bigger Role In Powering Cruise Ships
- Cruise News Briefs — January 15, 2021 [VIDEO]
- All Air Travelers Coming Into U.S. Will Require Negative Test
- Celebrity Returns to Mexican Riviera Cruising After 8 Year Hiatus
- Bookings Open For Holland America’s 2022 Alaska Cruises
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Grand Cayman Says Cruise Ships Unlikely To Return in 2021
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
All Air Travelers Coming Into U.S. Will Require Negative Test
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Royal Caribbean Will Cruise From New Homeport Next Winter
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Adventures By Disney To Launch Expedition Cruising In Antarctica, Galapagos