On Thursday, a Carnival Cruise Line ship accidentally offloaded a little over 6,000 gallons of grey water into Port Canaveral’s harbor. Carnival Elation was discharging ballast water when a grey water valve failed.
Carnival Cruise Line told Cruise Radio, “While Carnival Elation was discharging water from its ballast systems which helps stabilize the ship for navigational purposes, a grey water valve failed and unintentionally discharged grey water from non-sewage waste water systems. No sewage was discharged.”
Greywater is the least harmful water kept onboard the ship. Grey water generally consists of the shower and sink water. Grey water should not be confused with black water, which is the more harmful and potent waste that comes from the ship’s toilet system.
Local authorities were contacted as soon as the accident occurred.
Orlando news affiliate WESH reported that no additional cleanup was needed. The United States Coast Guard and Environmental Protection Agency are investigating what caused the malfunction.
The ship was cleared to leave for its Bahamas cruise on Thursday afternoon.
Last year, Carnival Corporation agreed to pay a $20 million fine for illegally discharging into the ocean. The fine was directed at their corporation’s premium brand Princess Cruises.
- Cruises From Nassau: What You Need To Know
- Cruise Radio News Briefs — May 7, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Why Norwegian Cruise Line May Cancel Sailings Out of Florida Ports
- Explained: What the Latest Cruise Guidance From The CDC Says About Masks, Distancing and More
- Cruise Exec Reacts to New CDC Guidelines: ‘We’re Flabbergasted. We’re Outraged.’
- Viking Announces Summer 2021 Mediterranean Cruises
- Upcoming MSC Cruise Ship To Feature New Bars & Redesigned Restaurants
- Cruise Radio News Briefs — May 6, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Now Texas: Third State Joins Lawsuit Aiming To Overturn Cruise Ban
- Giving Back: NCLH Donates $10 Million To Alaska Port Communities
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
‘We Need to Start Sailing Again’ Says Carnival Cruise Line Exec at Galveston Port Rally
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
First Look: The Big Change Coming to Carnival Cruise Line’s Entire Fleet
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
How Princess Cruises Will Change Dining When Sailings Restart — Will Other Lines Follow?
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Norwegian Guests Won’t Be Restricted To Cruise Line Shore Excursions