As her second cruise ever is now underway, Carnival Cruise Line’s new ship Mardi Gras has visited another port for the first time: Cozumel, Mexico.
This week’s sailing is seven-night western Caribbean itinerary that will call on both Cozumel and Costa Maya, Mexico as well as Roatán, Honduras. Last week, the ship sailed a seven-night eastern Caribbean route that stopped in San Juan, Puerto Rico; Amber Cove, Dominican Republic; and Nassau, Bahamas.
As passengers disembarked in Cozumel, they were greeted by a mariachi band on the pier to celebrate the ship’s inaugural visit.
Mardi Gras’ leadership team joined local officials for a traditional plaque exchange to celebrate the ship’s first arrival into the port.
Cozumel is an island off the coast of Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula, and despite having a bustling port area and tours for cruise visitors, is mostly undeveloped. The island and its surrounding waters is world-renowned for its spectacular scuba diving opportunities, which includes the second-largest reef system in the world, the Mesoamerican reef system.
Other popular activities on and around Cozumel for cruise visitors include snorkeling and snuba, swimming in a cenote, driving jeeps and ATVs, enjoying the beach, riding bicycles, taking a historical tour, swimming with dolphins, and exploring the Mayan ruins in Tulum.
Some highlights of the brand-new Mardi Gras include the BOLT roller coaster, RedFrog Tiki Bar, Loft 19 exclusive sundeck, New Orleans-inspired bar The Brass Magnolia, new Excel Suites, Chibang! Chinese and Mexican restaurant, Family Feud Live game show, WaterWorks aqua park, and the adults-only Serenity Retreat sundeck.
- Foodie’s Delight: Silversea’s New S.A.L.T. Delivers ‘Local Tastes’
- Costa Smeralda Trip Report, Day 3: Tasting The Med, Onboard & Ashore
- MSC Divina Resumes Cruising From Port Canaveral
- Cruise Line Sets a New Single-Day Booking Record
- Cruise News Today — September 17, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Alaska Launches Bill To Let Cruise Ships Permanently Skip Canada
- MSC Bellissima’s Red Sea Deployment Extended
- Costa Smeralda Trip Report, Day 2: Enough About COVID, Let’s Have Fun
- Cruise News Today — September 16, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Cruise Podcast: MSC Meraviglia Review 2021 + News
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Carnival Cruise Line Updates Casino, Smoking Policies
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Oasis of the Seas Successfully Completes First Cruise From NYC Metro Area
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Caribbean Island Welcomes First Cruise Ship in 18 Months
REVIEWS4 days ago
Trip Report: Final Impressions of Carnival’s Mardi Gras