On November 19, Celebrity Cruises held the shipbuilding industry’s traditional coin ceremony for their new ship Celebrity Beyond. It signifies an important milestone for the ship as the first keel block was laid.
A tradition with a long history, the coin ceremony is meant to bring the ship good fortune. The coin Celebrity chose for the honor is from the American Innovation dollar series, honoring Annie Jump Cannon. Cannon was the daughter of an American shipbuilder, a suffragist, and a pioneering astronomer credited with the development of contemporary stellar classification.
“This is a proud and exciting moment because Celebrity Beyond will continue to elevate an already incredibly innovative and transformative Series of ships for our brand – and the industry,” said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, President and CEO of Celebrity Cruises.
“I thank all of my amazing colleagues and our incredible partners at the shipyard for moving us one step closer to bringing Celebrity Beyond to life. We have some special surprises planned with Celebrity Beyond and I really can’t wait to share her with the world.”
Tobias King, Project Manager for Celebrity Cruises, and Sébastien Le Boulluec, Project Manager Edge Series at Chantiers de l’Atlantique shipyard had the honor of placing the ceremonial coin.
Celebrity Beyond is the third ship in the line’s Edge Series, joining Celebrity Edge and Celebrity Apex. The Edge class is known for its bright Magic Carpet, an exterior moving platform that is used as a restaurant, lounge, and more depending on which deck it’s on.
Sister ships Celebrity Edge and Apex also feature a three-story light-filled lounge/restaurant/bar called Eden, the largest swimming pool on any cruise ship, cabins with infinite verandas, and an upper deck Rooftop Garden. It’s not yet known just how similar Celebrity Beyond will be to her sister ships, but we anticipate she will also have these defining features.
Celebrity Beyond is expected to be delivered to the cruise line in spring 2022.
- Carnival Cruise Line Forced to Cancel Two Horizon Sailings
- Cruise News Today — November 30, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Carnival Cruise Line’s John Heald on Increased Capacity, Pier-Side Testing, Football and More
- MSC Cruises Christens New Ship in Dubai
- Welcome Back: Another Princess Cruise Ship Resumes Sailings
- Cruise News Today — November 29, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Key West Reopened to Cruise Ships Over Weekend, Restrictions Apply
- Overview: Visiting Bar Harbor, Maine on a Cruise
- 18 Photos of The Bimini Beach Club & What Cruisers Should Expect
- Review: Chibang! Chinese & Mexican Restaurant on Carnival’s Mardi Gras