On November 19, Celebrity Cruises held the shipbuilding industry’s traditional coin ceremony for their new ship Celebrity Beyond. It signifies an important milestone for the ship as the first keel block was laid.
A tradition with a long history, the coin ceremony is meant to bring the ship good fortune. The coin Celebrity chose for the honor is from the American Innovation dollar series, honoring Annie Jump Cannon. Cannon was the daughter of an American shipbuilder, a suffragist, and a pioneering astronomer credited with the development of contemporary stellar classification.
“This is a proud and exciting moment because Celebrity Beyond will continue to elevate an already incredibly innovative and transformative Series of ships for our brand – and the industry,” said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, President and CEO of Celebrity Cruises.
“I thank all of my amazing colleagues and our incredible partners at the shipyard for moving us one step closer to bringing Celebrity Beyond to life. We have some special surprises planned with Celebrity Beyond and I really can’t wait to share her with the world.”
Tobias King, Project Manager for Celebrity Cruises, and Sébastien Le Boulluec, Project Manager Edge Series at Chantiers de l’Atlantique shipyard had the honor of placing the ceremonial coin.
Celebrity Beyond is the third ship in the line’s Edge Series, joining Celebrity Edge and Celebrity Apex. The Edge class is known for its bright Magic Carpet, an exterior moving platform that is used as a restaurant, lounge, and more depending on which deck it’s on.
Sister ships Celebrity Edge and Apex also feature a three-story light-filled lounge/restaurant/bar called Eden, the largest swimming pool on any cruise ship, cabins with infinite verandas, and an upper deck Rooftop Garden. It’s not yet known just how similar Celebrity Beyond will be to her sister ships, but we anticipate she will also have these defining features.
Celebrity Beyond is expected to be delivered to the cruise line in spring 2022.
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of July 25, 2021
- Carnival Leads Port Canaveral Return with Mardi Gras Sailing
- Odyssey of the Seas Prepares For Inaugural Cruise
- Your Backstage Pass to Carnival Cruise Line’s VIP Party for Mardi Gras [PHOTOS]
- Viking Resumes Cruises on the Seine and Rhône Rivers in France
- Holland America Takes Delivery of New Flagship
- Royal Caribbean Adds Testing Requirement For All on U.S. Cruises
- Carnival Horizon, a Journey in Photos Day 4: Sea Day, Part 2
- Cruise News Today — July 30, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Everything You Need to Know About Mardi Gras’ Loft 19 and Its Cabanas
BEFORE YOU CRUISE4 days ago
MENU: Guy’s Pig & Anchor Smokehouse on Carnival’s Mardi Gras
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Two Big Changes to Guy Fieri Restaurants on Mardi Gras
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Mexican Port Welcomes First Cruise Ship After 16 Months
EDITORIAL5 days ago
Carnival Cruise Line Offers Sneak Peek of Mardi Gras