After over four years of planning and 23 months of construction, Celebrity Cruises has officially taken delivery of their newest ship, Celebrity Edge.
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.’s Chairman and CEO Richard Fain and Celebrity’s president and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo hosted a ceremony onboard the ship, while docked in the Chantiers de l”Atlantique shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, France. Celebrity executives, shipyard officials, and 1,377 crew members from 72 countries were also in attendance.
“The Celebrity team has done an outstanding job and I cannot thank the Chantiers de l’Atlantique team enough for delivering this game-changing ship and for their ongoing partnership,” said Fain. “Their work continues to transform the way our guests experience the world.”
Following the delivery, attendees went across the shipyard for the ceremonial keel laying of another upcoming Celebrity ship, Celebrity Apex. There, a 762-ton block was lifted into the air and a lucky coin was placed on the dock before the block was lowered into position.
On November 6, Edge will begin her transatlantic journey to her homeport at T25 at Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale. She will spend her inaugural season sailing alternating eastern and western Caribbean itineraries, with the maiden western voyage departing December 9 and the maiden eastern voyage departing December 16. In spring, the vessel will cross the Atlantic again to spend the season sailing in the Mediterranean.
Edge‘s sister ship Celebrity Apex will debut in 2020, followed by two more vessels in the Edge series in 2021 and 2022.
Learn more about Celebrity Edge at celebritycruises.com/edge.
- Carnival Will Take Conservative Approach When Cruises Resume
- Cruise Podcast: Disney Fantasy Caribbean Review + News
- Cruise Line Details New Sanitation Policies and Procedures
- Disney Cruise Line Cancels Additional Sailings
- Carnival Cruise Ship Captain Details Life Onboard During Shutdown
- 7 Ways Cruise Vacations Will Change Moving Forward
- Why You Shouldn’t Let Yourself Be Cruise Shamed
- Popular Shore Excursion Seller Closes Door
- Celebrity Edge Photo Tour
- How to Make a Cucumber Sunrise on Carnival Cruise Line [VIDEO]