P&O Cruises officially took ownership of their new vessel Iona last month, which is set to begin sailing with passengers in 2021. It’s the largest cruise ship ever built for the UK market and the first British cruise ship to be powered by liquefied natural gas.
In celebration of Iona joining the P&O Cruises and Carnival Corporation family, the line shared a time-lapse construction video from when major blocks were being added onto the ship all the way until she was floated out for further finishing touches to be added outside.
P&O Cruises president Paul Ludlow said of her delivery, “Iona‘s delivery is a very positive signal for the future of cruising. She is now officially part of the P&O Cruises fleet and we are focused on readying her to welcome guests during her new maiden season to Northern Europe, Spain, Portugal and the Canary Islands from our home port of Southampton.”
Iona is part of Carnival Corporation’s Excellence class of ships, which also includes AIDA Cruises’ AIDAnova, Carnival Cruise Line’s Mardi Gras, and Costa Cruises’ Costa Smeralda.
Iona includes many brand-new features for P&O, including a two-deck pool space with a glass dome roof called SkyDome, the first-ever gin distillery at sea, and a spa with destination-themed treatments. The ship also has eight specialty restaurants, 13 entertainment venues, and an infinity pool that looks out over the scenery at the aft.
Watch The Timelapse Video
- Princess and Holland America Cancel More 2021 Cruises
- Carnival Cancels Through May 31, Mardi Gras Inaugural Rescheduled
- Royal Caribbean Debuts More Private Island Itineraries For 2022
- Recipe: How to Make Carnival Cruise Line’s Apple Cobbler
- Cruise Radio News Briefs — February 24, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Disney is Bringing Back Special ‘Star Wars’ and ‘Marvel’ Cruises
- 5 Best Cruise Lines for Senior Citizens
- Movie: ‘King of the Cruise’ Gives Solo Cruisers a Bad Name
- Cruise Radio News Briefs — February 23, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Vaccinations are Leading the Rise in Future Cruise Bookings
BEFORE YOU CRUISE3 days ago
Mardi Gras Planning: Must-Have Reservation on Carnival’s New Ship
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of February 14, 2021
REVIEWS5 days ago
A Listener’s Review of MSC Meraviglia (2020)
BEFORE YOU CRUISE4 days ago
6 Cruise Ship Spots With Gardens & Greenery