P&O Cruises officially took ownership of their new vessel Iona last month, which is set to begin sailing with passengers in 2021. It’s the largest cruise ship ever built for the UK market and the first British cruise ship to be powered by liquefied natural gas.
In celebration of Iona joining the P&O Cruises and Carnival Corporation family, the line shared a time-lapse construction video from when major blocks were being added onto the ship all the way until she was floated out for further finishing touches to be added outside.
P&O Cruises president Paul Ludlow said of her delivery, “Iona‘s delivery is a very positive signal for the future of cruising. She is now officially part of the P&O Cruises fleet and we are focused on readying her to welcome guests during her new maiden season to Northern Europe, Spain, Portugal and the Canary Islands from our home port of Southampton.”
Iona is part of Carnival Corporation’s Excellence class of ships, which also includes AIDA Cruises’ AIDAnova, Carnival Cruise Line’s Mardi Gras, and Costa Cruises’ Costa Smeralda.
Iona includes many brand-new features for P&O, including a two-deck pool space with a glass dome roof called SkyDome, the first-ever gin distillery at sea, and a spa with destination-themed treatments. The ship also has eight specialty restaurants, 13 entertainment venues, and an infinity pool that looks out over the scenery at the aft.
Watch The Timelapse Video
- Mardi Gras Trip Report, Day 1: Let’s Get This Party Started
- 13 Photos of the Rooftop Garden on Celebrity Edge
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of July 25, 2021
- Carnival Leads Port Canaveral Return with Mardi Gras Sailing
- Odyssey of the Seas Prepares For Inaugural Cruise
- Your Backstage Pass to Carnival Cruise Line’s VIP Party for Mardi Gras [PHOTOS]
- Viking Resumes Cruises on the Seine and Rhône Rivers in France
- Holland America Takes Delivery of New Flagship
- Royal Caribbean Adds Testing Requirement For All on U.S. Cruises
- Carnival Horizon, a Journey in Photos Day 4: Sea Day, Part 2
BEFORE YOU CRUISE5 days ago
MENU: Guy’s Pig & Anchor Smokehouse on Carnival’s Mardi Gras
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Two Big Changes to Guy Fieri Restaurants on Mardi Gras
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Former Carnival Cruise Ship Now Sails With Chinese Line
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Your Backstage Pass to Carnival Cruise Line’s VIP Party for Mardi Gras [PHOTOS]