Holland America’s new ship Nieuw Statendam has successfully completed two sets of sea trials off the coast of Italy.
The ship left Fincantieri’s Marghera shipyard on August 10, and performed the first set of sea trials over two days. After that she went into dry dock at Fincantieri’s Trieste shipyard, where the trial’s data was reviewed and hull maintenance was performed. The second set of sea trials began on August 18, and then Nieuw Statendam made her way back to Marghera on August 22 where the finishing touches will be completed.
During sea trials, a ship undergoes a series of performance tests on systems, machinery, and engines. The shipyard’s team of nautical officers, naval architects, and builders test its maneuvering characteristics and safety systems.
About the Ship
Nieuw Statendam is due for delivery on December 1, 2018. She will sail the Caribbean this winter before moving to northern Europe, Iceland, and the Mediterranean next summer. The 2,666-guest ship will feature familiar elements that guests have come to know and love about Holland America, but will also include state-of-the-art enhancements and its own style created by designer Adam Tihany and architect Bjørn Storbraaten. Like her sister in the Pinnacle class Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam will have interiors that are inspired by the curves of musical instruments.
Holland America’s first ship to be called Statendam sailed in 1898, and this will be the sixth ship in the company’s history to bear that name.
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of December 1, 2019
- Sky Princess Christened in Fort Lauderdale
- Virgin Voyages’ First Cruise Ship One Step Closer To Completion
- Trip Report: Norwegian Sky – Sea Day
- Cruise Podcast: Disney Magic Review 2019 + Free Casino Cruises
- Trip Report: Norwegian Sky – Embarkation Day
- Cruisers Mourn Passing Of Jack’s Shack Pup Topher
- Guy’s Burger Joint Now Serves Breakfast
- Carnival Sends Another Cruise Ship To California
- Nassau Vows To Fight “Very Real Problem” Of Crime
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Virgin Voyages’ First Cruise Ship One Step Closer To Completion
REVIEWS4 days ago
Trip Report: Norwegian Sky – Embarkation Day
REVIEWS3 days ago
Trip Report: Norwegian Sky – Sea Day
CRUISE PODCAST4 days ago
Cruise Podcast: Disney Magic Review 2019 + Free Casino Cruises
CRUISE NEWS1 day ago
Sky Princess Christened in Fort Lauderdale
CRUISE NEWS22 hours ago
Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of December 1, 2019