Princess Cruises has announced that it will be leveraging new satellites for what it’s calling “super-charged internet connectivity,” and is now promoting its ships as the perfect “remote workstation” for virtual workers who need fast internet for their jobs.
Upon its return to sailing, every ship in the Princess Cruises fleet will feature land-like connectivity as part of its MedallionNet wifi service. MedallionNet’s seamless integration will ensure that passengers can work from their deck chairs as efficiently as in their office back home, with access to their cloud-based applications such as storage, videoconferencing, and email.
There will be an access point in every stateroom and every public area across the ships, meaning passengers wishing to go online won’t have to be sitting in that one corner of the lounge to get high-speed wifi.
According to a Princess Cruises press release, over 40 percent of the American workforce continues to work remotely, and an expected 36.2 million Americans are projected to telecommute by 2025.
“As an Internet person who lives her entire life online, I was thoroughly impressed with MedallionNet,” said Chelsea Lankford, creator of fashion and lifestyle blog Truelane. “I’m always impressed by its reliability. I’ve published blog posts, uploaded videos, and streamed Netflix in the middle of the ocean without a glitch.”
In late 2021, Princess connectivity partner SES will begin to launch a new constellation of satellites that will further the abilities and speed of MedallionNet, offering the best possible connectivity at sea. In addition to the wifi, it will power the Princess MedallionClass experience onboard, which revolves around a wearable device that replaces the traditional cruise card.
In the United States, Princess Cruises has canceled all voyages through at least May 14, 2021.
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of April 11, 2021
- New Series Focuses on Pain of Cruise Shutdown, Excitement of Planned Return
- NCL To CDC: ‘Respond To Our Restart Plan Please’
- Carnival Releases Another Cruise-Themed Board Game
- Cruise Radio News Briefs — April 16, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Read the Letter Some Hope Will Prevent Cruise Ships From Sailing
- The Tug of War Over The Cruise Industry’s Future
- Norwegian’s ‘Great Cruise Comeback’ Docuseries Episode Airing Tonight
- Viking Takes Delivery of Latest Ocean Cruise Ship
- Another Cruise Line Moves Closer to All-Inclusive Pricing
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Senators Launch ‘CRUISE Act’ Bill To Override CDC, Return Cruising By July 2021
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
The CDC Still Doesn’t Want You To Cruise, But Has Advice If You Do
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Another Cruise Line Moves Closer to All-Inclusive Pricing
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Norwegian Cruise Line Adjusts Refund, FCC Policies