Princess Cruises, whose ships were the star of the show “The Love Boat,” has announced a special voyage themed to the TV show coming in 2022.
The line’s vessel Majestic Princess has been chosen for the sailing, which will bring together the original ensemble cast and include a tribute celebration for the late actor Gavin MacLeod, aka Captain Stubing.
The themed elements of the cruise will be hosted by Princess Cruises Celebrations Ambassador Jill Whelan, who played Vicki Stubing in the show. She will be joined by fellow cast members Cynthia Lauren Tewes (Julie McCoy), Bernie Kopell (Doc), Fred Grandy (Gopher), and Ted Lange (Isaac).
Together, they will share their favorite memories from the show, participate in guest activities, and celebrate Gavin LacLeod, who served as Princess Cruises’ brand ambassador for over 35 years until his passing in May 2021.
The seven-night cruise will be from February 26 to March 5, 2022, setting sail from Los Angeles. It will be underway on MacLeod’s birthday — February 28 — and sail the line’s signature Mexican Riviera itinerary that was prominently featured during the TV show’s ten-year run from 1977 to 1986. The scheduled ports are Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlán, and Cabo San Lucas.
“Reuniting with the cast for this very special themed ‘Love Boat’ cruise and celebrating the show’s lasting impact with guests is sure to be nostalgic, fun and incredibly memorable,” said Jill Whelan. “While we always love to connect with fans this cruise will be extra special because we will also celebrate the life and career of Gavin, our fearless leader, who not only played my dad on TV but was also a true father figure to me beyond the show.”
“The Love Boat” themed cruise activities will include:
- Sail away party
- 1970s-inspired ‘Love Boat’ Disco Deck Party
- Renewal of vows ceremony hosted by Whelan and the cast on the upper deck
- Q&A with the cast, sharing favorite memories of the show and MacLeod
- Birthday celebration honoring MacLeod
- “The Love Boat” episodes airing on Movies Under the Stars and in passenger cabins
- “The Love Boat” trivia with the cruise director
- Cast photo opportunities
- “The Love Boat” themed menus and specialty cocktails
- Themed décor, backdrops, and merchandise
Princess Cruises has been connected to “The Love Boat” well beyond the setting of the show, reuniting the cast members for two ship christenings — Dawn Princess in 1997 and Regal Princess in 2014. They’ve also appeared on the line’s Rose Parade float and sailed on a throwback cruise in 2015 to celebrate Princess’ 50th anniversary.
In May 2018, the six original cast members and Princess Cruises received an honorary star plaque on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in recognition of their contributions to the history of television.
- Royal Caribbean Celebrates One Year Since Restart, Reveals Fun Facts
- Cruise News Today — December 8, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Jimmy Buffett Launches Cruise Line, Rebrands Ship [IMAGES]
- Carnival Releases 2021 Christmas Day Dinner Menu
- Carnival Radiance Cruise & Entertainment Directors Announced
- Cruise News Today — December 7, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Virgin Voyages Donates 500 Cabins to Healthcare Providers
- Saying Goodbye to My Dad, Captain Parker
- Passport Card vs. Book: Which Should I Get?
- Cruise News Today — December 6, 2021 [VIDEO]