Royal Caribbean has announced that its fifth Oasis-class ship, Wonder of the Seas, will have not seven, but eight neighborhoods for the first time.
The ship will be 236,857 gross tons, and feature a total of 18 decks and 2,867 staterooms. This means that it will surpass the current largest cruise vessel in the world by over 8,000 gross tons — sister ship Symphony of the Seas.
The other four Oasis-class ships all have seven “neighborhoods,” which are basically the way Royal Caribbean refers to and divides up the different sections of the vessel. Wonder of the Seas will go a step further, introducing a brand-new neighborhood into the mix — Suite Neighborhood.
What’s In the New Neighborhood
The Suite Neighborhood will be Royal Caribbean’s take on an exclusive ship-within-a-ship area accessible only to passengers who are booked into one of its suites. The concept isn’t new, having been rolled out on Norwegian Cruise Line as The Haven and the Yacht Club on MSC Cruises.
Like on other lines, Royal’s Suite Neighborhood will include an exclusive sundeck, private lounge, restaurant, and more. Families who book the Ultimate Family Suite — first introduced on Symphony of the Seas — will also be able to take advantage of the Suite Neighborhood’s many amenities.
The other seven neighborhoods on Wonder of the Seas are as follows:
- Central Park — A plant-filled space reminiscent of Central Park in New York City, this neighborhood is lined with specialty restaurants and high-end shops. The open-air space features over 20,000 plants, plenty of seating, and live music in the evening.
- Boardwalk — This area at the ship’s aft is home to two rock climbing walls, a carousel, bars and restaurants, and the AquaTheater with jaw-dropping aerial and diving shows.
- Pool & Sports Zone — At the top of the ship, cruisers will find multiple pools and hot tubs, a zip line, the entrance to the 10-story Ultimate Abyss slide, and a variety of sports courts.
- Entertainment Place — When the sun goes down, this neighborhood is the place to be. Passengers enjoy world-class performances in the Royal Theater, ice skating shows, and can even join in on the entertaining at Spotlight Karaoke.
- Royal Promenade — The heart of the ship, the Royal Promenade is where shopping, dining, and entertainment come together. In the morning, guests can stop by for tea or coffee. As the day goes on, they can watch and dance as the neighborhood comes alive with pop-up musicians and performers.
- Vitality Spa & Fitness Center — The spa and fitness center offers exercise classes in the full-scale gym, spa treatments, and the Vitality Café, serving up light fare like smoothies and fresh sandwiches.
- Youth Zone — This is where kids and teens have their own spaces to hang out and play. The Adventure Ocean youth program has different kids and teen clubs divided out by age, as well as a nursery for babies and toddlers.
Wonder of the Seas Itineraries
Wonder of the Seas will set sail from Shanghai and Hong Kong, China in 2022 on four to nine-night cruises through the Far East to the best of Japan and more. The vessel is currently under construction in Saint-Nazaire, France, and will be the first of its kind to call China home when it debuts in March 2022.
Between March and November, the ship will sail roundtrip from Shanghai to Japan, visiting Osaka, Fukuoka, Kobe, and Okinawa. Other port calls will include Tokyo, Mount Fuji, Kumamoto, Kagoshima, Ishigaki, and Miyazaki, Japan.
From November 2022 to January 2023, Wonder will move to warmer climates and homeport in Hong Kong, offering cruises to Chan May, Vietnam; Busan and Jeju, South Korea; Kochi and Okinawa, Japan; and Taipei, China.
Bookings are now open for these Wonder of the Seas cruises.
- Tampa Welcomes First Cruise Ship in 19 Months
- 9 Freebies on Cruise Ships
- Third U.S. Based Princess Cruise Ship Resumes Service
- Carnival Raises Nearly $300,000 in 3 Months For St. Jude
- Holland America Names Godmother of New Cruise Ship
- Cruise News Today — October 15, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Windstar Cruises Adds Second Yacht in French Polynesia
- MSC Partners With Two Universities to Support Ocean Cay Coral Program
- Princess Reveals More Cruise Ship Restarts For Early 2022
- Captain Kate Appointed Head of New Celebrity Cruise Ship