When it came time for the naming ceremony of Royal Caribbean’s new cruise ship, they made it a family affair: For the first time, the cruise line went not with a Godmother or Godfather for Symphony of the Seas, but rather a Godfamily!
Welcome To Miami, Symphony!
Actors Alexa an Carlos PenaVega, along with their 23-month-old son Ocean, had the honor of helping to christen the ship in Miami this week. Not only are the happily-wed pair big fans of Royal Caribbean, but earlier this year they even starred in the Hallmark movie Love At Sea… which was filmed aboard Symphony’s sister ship, Harmony of the Seas! After arriving on motorized scooters, the family presided over the ceremony… with young Ocean pushing the button which unleashed the traditional champagne bottle to be broken against the side of the ship!
READ MORE: Spectrum Of The Seas Construction Update
With nearly 1,000 people attending the ceremony, the Symphony of the Seas naming ceremony also served as a perfect opportunity for the cruise line to show off their new state-of-the-art terminal at PortMiami. The event featured a musical performance by an electronic violinist and an impressive sailaway show put on by nearly 400 perfectly-choreographed drones! Locals got in on the action as well, with students from Miami Southridge Senior High taking to the stage for an energetic drumline performance that kept everyone’s toes tapping. As is fitting for the largest ship in the world, this was the biggest naming ceremony in Royal Caribbean’s history.
What’s Next For The New Ship
Now that the ship has been officially named and welcomed to the fleet, Symphony will join her sister ship, Allure of the Seas, in sailing out of Miami. Symphony will be doing 7-night Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries which will, of course, feature stops at Royal Caribbean’s redesigned private island destination, Perfect Day at CocoCay.
Symphony is currently the largest cruise ship in the world, having usurped the title from Harmony of the Seas, which in turn swiped the title from Allure of the Seas!
- Cruise Line Thanks Authorities Who Brought Home Stranded Guests
- Sick Cruise Ship Gets Approval to Dock in Florida
- Cruise Podcast: Royal Caribbean’s Explorer of the Seas 2020 + News
- How to Make Fruit Loop Crusted French Toast
- Carnival Sunrise Virtual Cruise Day 2, Fun Day At Sea
- Carnival Cancels Additional Sailings, Including Alaska and Europe
- Cancellations, Compensation and Refund Policies by Cruise Line
- Viking Launches Mississippi River Cruises
- Carnival Sunrise Virtual Cruise To Nowhere, Day 1
- How to Use a Future Cruise Credit