While attempting to dock, one Carnival Cruise Line ship backed into another of the line’s vessels in Cozumel’s Puerto Maya pier on Friday morning, injuring one guest. Carnival Glory was pulling in when it bumped into the docked Carnival Legend.
The cause of the accident is still under investigation but from videos and photos taken as the incident was unfolding, it appears the collision was caused by high winds.
Carnival Cruise Line told Cruise Radio, “Carnival Glory had a allision with Carnival Legend this morning in Cozumel. Carnival Glory was maneuvering to dock when it made contact with Carnival Legend which was already alongside. We are assessing the damage to both ships.”
The statement went on to say, “There is one reported minor injury of a Carnival Glory guest that occurred when a group of guests were evacuated from the dining room on Decks 3 and 4.”
There’s no word yet as to whether either ship will wind up seeing their itinerary altered as a result of the accident and the inspections it made necessary.
The Incident Was Caught On Video
A witness who saw the event unfold from Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas told Cruise Radio that Carnival Legend was docked with the bow facing forward. Carnival Glory was backing in. The aft end of Carnival Glory made contact with the bow of Carnival Legend.
Glynis Knibb of the Royal Caribbean Periscopers group live-streamed the accident on the popular social media app.
It’s not terribly surprising that photos and video immediately surfaced. Many cruisers enjoy capturing the arrivals, departures and dockings of ships.
Carnival Legend and Carnival Glory are on seven-night Western Caribbean cruises from Tampa and New Orleans, respectively.
- MSC Cruises to Pause Mediterranean Voyages Until January
- Royal Caribbean Announces Summer 2022 Europe Itineraries
- Holland America Wins ‘Top Alaska Cruise Line’
- MSC Extends Pause For U.S. Cruises Through February 2021
- Why Princess Cruises Won’t Be Returning Until April 2021
- Norwegian Details Second ‘Embark NCL Spotlight’ Episode
- Carnival Cancels Through February 2021, Mardi Gras Cruise Delayed
- Royal Caribbean Cancels All Cruises Through February 2021
- Quantum Leap: First Look At Cruising During Unusual Times
- Norwegian Cancels All January, February 2021 Cruises
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Carnival Cruise Line Gives Away Drink Package — Do You Qualify?
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Royal Caribbean’s Next Ship Floated Out of Dry Dock [PHOTOS]
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Carnival Gives Canceled Guests Some Good News
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Carnival Horizon’s Return to Cruising Hits a Roadblock