Holland America Line has announced that they will be cancelling the February 1 sailing of the Nieuw Amsterdam. Instead, the ship will be headed to a short drydock for repairs.
Why The Sailing Is Being Cancelled
Travel advisers were informed that the February 1 sailing would have to be cancelled so that the cruise line could deal with issues the Nieuw Amsterdam has been having with one of its azipod propulsion systems.
So instead of sailing to the Caribbean as planned, the ship will instead leave Fort Lauderdale and head to the shipyards in Grand Bahama for repairs.
This is not the first time Holland America has had to cancel a cruise in recent weeks because of the issue. Last month, the ship’s scheduled December 14 sailing had to be cancelled.
At the time, Holland America told passengers, “While the ship can safely sail with one azipod, to do so requires approval from several regulatory authorities which is still in progress. Given the impact of the delay on delivering a satisfactory itinerary for guests, a decision was made to cancel the cruise.”
After receiving the appropriate clearances, the ship returned to her regular sailing schedule.
What Happens Next
According to a statement from Holland America Line, “Our reservations team is working with guests and their travel advisors to re-accommodate them on other sailings. They will have the option to move to any other 2020 winter or spring 7-day Caribbean or Mexican cruise in the equivalent stateroom category and receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100% of the cruise fare paid to use on another future voyage.”
Guests looking to go to a different destination were told they could apply the cruise fare paid to the new booking and receive a Future Cruise Credit of 50% of the cruise fare paid.”
The statement concluded by saying, “There is no change to the February 8 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, sailing roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale.”
The Nieuw Amsterdam was introduced to the Holland America Line fleet in 2010.
- The Controversial Technology That Could Change Cruising Forever
- The Rule Change That Could Save Alaska’s 2021 Cruise Season
- Royal Caribbean Makes Changes to Winter 2021/2022 Cruise Schedule
- Impressive Timelapse of New Cruise Ship Being Built [VIDEO]
- Kicked Off Ship: Cruiser Who Ignored Excursion Rules Sent Packing
- Judge’s Ruling Clears Path For Carnival December 1 Sailing
- Travel During A Pandemic: Visiting Disney Springs
- Cruise Podcast: How To Buy A Room On A Cruise Ship + News
- 21 Haunting Images From a Cruise Ship Scrapyard [PHOTOS]
- New Cruise Ship Will Literally Change the Air You Breathe
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
First Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship to Sail Gives Glimpse of New Normal
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
21 Haunting Images From a Cruise Ship Scrapyard [PHOTOS]
CRUISE NEWS2 days ago
Judge’s Ruling Clears Path For Carnival December 1 Sailing
CRUISE NEWS2 days ago
Kicked Off Ship: Cruiser Who Ignored Excursion Rules Sent Packing