The Saturday, December 14, 2019 cruise aboard Holland America Line’s Nieuw Amsterdam has been canceled, the cruise line announced on Facebook.
The ship, scheduled to sail a 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise, did not leave the dock at Fort Lauderdale’s Port Everglades on Saturday. This afternoon, Sunday December 15, passengers were notified that the cruise was canceled due to issues with one of the ship’s Azipod propellers.
“While the ship can safely sail with one Azipod, to do so requires approval from several regulatory authorities which is still in progress. Given the impact of the delay on delivering a satisfactory itinerary for guests, a decision was made to cancel the cruise,” the line said on Facebook
Passengers will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, reimbursement for any air change fees, in addition to a 100% future cruise credit. Some passengers were able to re-book on Holland America Line’s Koningsdam and Niuew Statendam, also sailing from Port Everglades on Sunday.
Cruise Radio spoke with a passenger scheduled to sail, who said “[It] was handled professionally. Most passengers were upbeat. We received a letter and a lot of communication from staff. Our friends were able to get rooms on the sister ship that was next to us. We were not.”
On Facebook, Holland America Line wrote “It is not known at this time what impact there may be on upcoming Nieuw Amsterdam sailings. For the cruise scheduled to depart on Dec. 21, booked guests and their travel advisors will be notified no later than Tuesday, Dec. 17, at 3 p.m. ET if any adjustments are required.”
The Signature-class Niuew Amsterdam, launched in 2010, sails with 2,106 passengers and 929 crew.
- CDC Issues New Cruise Warning as No-Sail Set To Expire
- What To Know Before Buying This $25,000 Cruise Ship Condo
- Maritime Law: The One Change That Could Save The Cruise Industry
- Timeline: 2020 Cruise Industry Shutdown
- Travel During A Pandemic: Disney Springs Hotel Stay
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of October 18, 2020
- The Controversial Technology That Could Change Cruising Forever
- The Rule Change That Could Save Alaska’s 2021 Cruise Season
- Royal Caribbean Makes Changes to Winter 2021/2022 Cruise Schedule
- Impressive Timelapse of New Cruise Ship Being Built [VIDEO]
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
21 Haunting Images From a Cruise Ship Scrapyard [PHOTOS]
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Kicked Off Ship: Cruiser Who Ignored Excursion Rules Sent Packing
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Judge’s Ruling Clears Path For Carnival December 1 Sailing
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Royal Caribbean Makes Changes to Winter 2021/2022 Cruise Schedule