If you were one of the 55,974 passengers who passed through Florida’s Port Everglades on December 1st, congratulations, you helped set a new world record. Because it was on that day that the record was set for the most passengers to pass through a port in a single day.
Thanks to the ships which passed through the port that day, the previous world record — also held by Port Everglades — was broken. By how many? Well, the previous record, set in March of 2016, was 55,885, which means 89 more people passed through the port on December 1st.
“We knew it would be close because it was a busy weekend,” said Glenn Wiltshire, Port Everglades’ Acting Chief Executive and Port Director. “This is a nice gift for the holidays,”
What does it take to break your own record? In this case, eight different cruise ships and a Bahamian ferry service! The ships in question were Royal Caribbean’s Adventure of the Seas and Allure of the Seas, Carnival Magic, Celebrity Edge, Holland America Line’s Eurodam and Nieuw Statendam, Princess Cruises Regal Princess and Sky Princess, and Balearia Caribbean’s Jaume II ferry to the Bahamas.
Over the course of a typical year, the port, located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, processes over 4 million passengers.
- Adventures By Disney To Launch Expedition Cruising In Antarctica, Galapagos
- Oceania Announces Epic 180-Night World Cruise
- 2021 Cruising: Halifax Cruise Port Hopes For Best, Plans For Worst
- Carnival Corp. Celebrates Float-Out of New Ship
- Plugged-In: Electricity To Play Bigger Role In Powering Cruise Ships
- Cruise News Briefs — January 15, 2021 [VIDEO]
- All Air Travelers Coming Into U.S. Will Require Negative Test
- Celebrity Returns to Mexican Riviera Cruising After 8 Year Hiatus
- Bookings Open For Holland America’s 2022 Alaska Cruises
- Royal Caribbean Will Cruise From New Homeport Next Winter
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Why Carnival Cruise Line Wants You Excited About Half Moon Cay
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Holland America Releases 2021-2022 Caribbean Cruise Schedule
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Ax Cruises Through April 2021
CRUISE NEWS2 days ago
Grand Cayman Says Cruise Ships Unlikely To Return in 2021