Santa was zipping through the sky yesterday not on his sled, but on the roller coaster that tops Carnival Cruise Line’s new ship, Mardi Gras.
Something You Don’t See Every Day
Workers at the Meyer Turku shipyard in Finland were putting the finishing touches on Mardi Gras when they heard a particularly distinct laugh coming from somewhere above their heads. This wasn’t your typical guffaw or titter, but rather the kind of hearty “Ho, ho, ho” which is pretty much associated with only one person on the planet.
Looking up, they were taken aback to find that Santa had snuck on board in order to take BOLT, the roller coaster which soars above Mardi Gras’ lido deck, for a spin. Given that Mardi Gras is still several months away from entering service, Santa’s joyride was technically an unauthorized visit. But those on board couldn’t help smiling as they heard Santa shriek when the motorcycle-like ride vehicle entered the hairpin curve which circles the iconic deck-topping funnel.
After all, who’s going to put Santa on the naughty list when he’s just having a little (mostly innocent) fun?
What’s Next For the Ship
With Saint Nick’s big day just around the corner, the shipyard’s workers turned a blind eye, deciding he’d definitely earned a little bit of fun. “Never in my wildest dreams would I think a roller coaster could be on a cruise ship,” Santa admitted when finally he could be coaxed off the ride. “It’s something we’ll be talking about at the North Pole for a long time!”
Jumping onto his sleigh — itself a pretty darn impressive ride — Santa went back to his workshop, admitting he’d been mightily impressed by the “elves” putting the finishing touches on Mardi Gras. (We hear he may even be planning to poach a few of them for his own workshop.)
As for Mardi Gras, the ship is expected to be delivered to Carnival later this week, after which she’ll begin preparing for her debut in the spring of 2021.
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of April 11, 2021
- New Series Focuses on Pain of Cruise Shutdown, Excitement of Planned Return
- NCL To CDC: ‘Respond To Our Restart Plan Please’
- Carnival Releases Another Cruise-Themed Board Game
- Cruise Radio News Briefs — April 16, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Read the Letter Some Hope Will Prevent Cruise Ships From Sailing
- The Tug of War Over The Cruise Industry’s Future
- Norwegian’s ‘Great Cruise Comeback’ Docuseries Episode Airing Tonight
- Viking Takes Delivery of Latest Ocean Cruise Ship
- Another Cruise Line Moves Closer to All-Inclusive Pricing
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Another Cruise Line Moves Closer to All-Inclusive Pricing
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
The CDC Still Doesn’t Want You To Cruise, But Has Advice If You Do
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Norwegian Cruise Line Adjusts Refund, FCC Policies
EDITORIAL3 days ago
Why Drink Packages May Be the Biggest Challenge Facing Cruising’s Resumption