Carnival Cruise Line’s upcoming mega-ship Mardi Gras has officially completed sea trials in the Baltic Sea and is back in Finland being readied for her 2021 launch.
The ship is now in a wet dock at Meyer Turku shipyard where her interiors are being outfitted and final touches are being made to the public spaces.
Mardi Gras is one of a kind for Carnival Cruise Line. At 180,000-gross registered tons, she’s over 40,000-tons larger than Carnival Panorama, which made her west coast debut in December 2019.
Aside from being a prototype, the LNG (liquified natural gas) powered cruise ship will feature changes not seen on other Carnival ships.
The atrium will now be on the side of the ship along a wall of glass, the ship will be divided into six distinct zones (think Royal Caribbean’s neighborhood concept on the Oasis-class), it will be home to BOLT (the first roller coaster at sea), and there will be new excel suites offering guests their own private sanctuary and retreat.
Mardi Gras is one of two upcoming Excellence-class ships that is currently being constructed for the cruise line.
She’ll be joined by the sister-ship Celebration in 2022. Though the cruise line has not revealed much about the Celebration, we do know she’ll sail her 14-night inaugural voyage from Southampton, England in November 2022.
When the vessel makes her debuted in Port Canaveral, Florida in February 2022, she’ll sail weeklong voyages to both the Eastern and Western Caribbean.
Carnival Mardi Gras Sea Trial
The vessel will bear the same name of Carnival Cruise Line’s original Mardi Gras — which was its first ship launched in 1972 — and remained with the company through 1992 before sold to Gold Star Cruises. She was eventually scrapped in 2003.
Fun Fact: During Mardi Gras’ inaugural voyage from PortMiami in 1972, the ship hit a sand bar and was grounded.
- The Controversial Technology That Could Change Cruising Forever
- The Rule Change That Could Save Alaska’s 2021 Cruise Season
- Royal Caribbean Makes Changes to Winter 2021/2022 Cruise Schedule
- Impressive Timelapse of New Cruise Ship Being Built [VIDEO]
- Kicked Off Ship: Cruiser Who Ignored Excursion Rules Sent Packing
- Judge’s Ruling Clears Path For Carnival December 1 Sailing
- Travel During A Pandemic: Visiting Disney Springs
- Cruise Podcast: How To Buy A Room On A Cruise Ship + News
- 21 Haunting Images From a Cruise Ship Scrapyard [PHOTOS]
- New Cruise Ship Will Literally Change the Air You Breathe
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
First Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship to Sail Gives Glimpse of New Normal
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
21 Haunting Images From a Cruise Ship Scrapyard [PHOTOS]
CRUISE NEWS2 days ago
Judge’s Ruling Clears Path For Carnival December 1 Sailing
CRUISE NEWS2 days ago
Kicked Off Ship: Cruiser Who Ignored Excursion Rules Sent Packing