Sea Cloud Cruises’ new ship Sea Cloud Spirit has been given a prominent and aristocratic godmother.
Infanta Elena of Spain, the sister of Spain’s King Felipe VI, will christen the three-masted full-rigged ship on September 3 in the Port of Palma de Mallorca.
Sea Cloud Spirit is the third five-star windjammer from Sea Cloud Cruises, and was built at the Metalships & Docks shipyard in the northern Spanish port city of Vigo.
The champagne that will be used for the ceremony has been blessed after a journey of almost 120 kilometers in Santiago de Compostela. Spanish shipping lawyer and legal representative of Sea Cloud Cruises, Javier Arias-Camisón, personally brought the champagne on foot to Santiago de Compostela and had it blessed there. It took him five days to make the trip with the bottles in his backpack.
One of the two bottles will be shattered on the hull of Sea Cloud Spirit, a maritime tradition whenever a new ship is christened. The other bottle will be auctioned off for charity on the vessel’s maiden voyage that will take place from September 14 to 24 from Rome.
Sea Cloud Spirit is a modern interpretation of the classic Sea Cloud ship, and is now the flagship of the cruise line. Like the 90-year-old original, and the Sea Cloud II built in 2001, the new tall ship has the character of a private yacht.
The vessel will carry a maximum of 136 passengers on board, and will have 85 crew members. Like her two sister ships, Sea Cloud Spirit is traditionally sailed by hand and follows the principles of “soft tourism,” or more sustainable tourism.
- A Picky Eater’s Guide to Dining on Carnival’s Mardi Gras
- Foodie’s Delight: Silversea’s New S.A.L.T. Delivers ‘Local Tastes’
- Costa Smeralda Trip Report, Day 3: Tasting The Med, Onboard & Ashore
- MSC Divina Resumes Cruising From Port Canaveral
- Cruise Line Sets a New Single-Day Booking Record
- Cruise News Today — September 17, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Alaska Launches Bill To Let Cruise Ships Permanently Skip Canada
- MSC Bellissima’s Red Sea Deployment Extended
- Costa Smeralda Trip Report, Day 2: Enough About COVID, Let’s Have Fun
- Cruise News Today — September 16, 2021 [VIDEO]
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Carnival Cruise Line Updates Casino, Smoking Policies
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Oasis of the Seas Successfully Completes First Cruise From NYC Metro Area
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Caribbean Island Welcomes First Cruise Ship in 18 Months
REVIEWS4 days ago
Trip Report: Final Impressions of Carnival’s Mardi Gras