Windstar Cruises has officially taken delivery again of its yacht Star Legend from Fincantieri shipyard in Italy after a massive, multi-million dollar renovation.
The small ship line embarked on its Star Plus Initiative multi-ship renovation program in 2019, with plans to stretch all three of its Star Plus Class ships — Star Breeze, Star Legend, and Star Pride. The process included inserting a new section into each ship with 50 new suites, new and reimagined public spaces, and additional amenities.
Though guest capacity increased from 212 to 312 guests, the size of the all-suite motorized yachts still fits within Windstar’s promise to visit a mix of both smaller, scenic ports as well as larger and more popular ones.
“We’re proud to see Star Legend emerge from this major project with all initial plans completed,” said Windstar Cruises’ President Chris Prelog. “I am so thankful to Fincantieri for their great partnership on this complicated and innovative project. This is the ship I began my seagoing career on 20 plus years ago and to see it today like a new ship is more than exciting for me. I am blown away.”
Highlights of the Star Plus Class transformation include:
- Two new restaurants: Star Grill by Steven Raichlen — an outdoor barbecue concept, and Cuadro 44 by Michelin chef Anthony Sasso — a Spanish tapas restaurant
- A reimagined and enlarged spa and fitness center, featuring workout equipment from Technogym; the spa menu features regional spa treatments and destination-themed therapies as part of the World Spa by Windstar program
- A larger pool and hot tub on the top deck, along with expanded outdoor deck areas
- 50 new 277 square-foot suites, as well as two new, larger Owner’s Suites
- All-new bathrooms in every suite
- Efficient engines and diesel generators, plus a new and advanced wastewater treatment system
- A comfortable tender loading area mid-ship and a new mid-ship elevator
- Two new 90-passenger tenders
The transformation also included new health and safety renovations, such as HEPA filters and UV-C ultraviolet germicidal irradiation to filter and disinfect the air, as well as electrostatic sprayers to sanitize all surfaces throughout the yacht.
Windstar Cruises will require proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all passengers.
Star Legend will resume cruising with the Belles of the British Isles sailing roundtrip from London on September 4, 2021.