Royal Caribbean’s newest, Anthem of the Seas, was christened today at a ceremony in Southampton, England in front of 1,300 guests. Upholding a timeless maritime tradition, the Godmother, British travel agent Emma Wilby sang and officiated the christening ceremony before smashing the bottle of champagne.
The Godmother role is a lifetime title bestowed upon an individual, who figuratively presides over the ship and imparts good luck and divine protection over the vessel and all that sail aboard. Traditionally, Godmothers have celebrity status or even royal connections, such as Royal Caribbean Godmothers Gloria Estefan, Jane Seymour, Whoopi Goldberg and Steffi Graf, just to name a few.
On the Scene
- Spring and Summer 2016 sailing from Southampton, England
- Fall 2016, repositioning to the NYC area to sail Caribbean and Bermuda itineraries
- NorthStar aerial observatory
- RipCord by iFly
- Two70 lounge
- Royal Theater
- Royal Esplanade
- Bionic Bar with robot bartenders
- 18 dining venues
- Ovation of the Seas, 2016
- Harmony of the Seas, 2016
Anthem of the Seas holds 4,180-guests and weighs in at 168,000-tons.
Search Anthem of the Seas
Feature photo: @PortsofCallUK Twitter
- Spain to Require Booster Shots For U.S. Visitors
- Cruise News Recap | Week of January 9, 2022
- Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Opts Into CDC’s Voluntary COVID-19 Program
- CDC’s Conditional Sail Order Now Voluntary — What Happens Next?
- Norwegian Ends Cruise Mid-Voyage, Ship Returns to New York City
- Looking Back: Ten Years After Costa Concordia
- Cruise News Today — January 14, 2022 [VIDEO]
- Carnival Sunshine Resumes Cruises From Charleston
- Viking Neptune Floated Out at the Shipyard in Italy
- Royal Caribbean Further Extends Cruise With Confidence Program