Traveling by ship is always exciting. And while gazing the marine landscape in the daytime and enjoying the sights of the sky in the night, you might be inclined to relax and have a good vape session. But can you take your electronic smoking device onboard? And are there any vaping rules you should follow? Let’s see.
Note: This article was originally published in August 2019. It was updated in April 2022.
What Are the Cruise Lines’ Policies?
Generally, the use of e-cigarettes on cruise ships is regulated by the same rules as smoking. There’re no special places for vaping. You will vape in the designated areas where smoking is allowed. The big three cruise lines — Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian — all adopt this policy. Other lines including MSC, Disney, Celebrity, and Virgin also follow this rule.
Holland America and Princess Cruises allow vaping in staterooms and designated smoking areas on their ships, but not in any other public areas.
What if you dare to use your gadget somewhere where it’s banned? Most cruise lines charge a several hundred dollar fine for violation of their vaping policy.
How to Pack Your Vape Gear and E-liquids for the Cruise?
Shipping electronic smoking devices must comply with regulations. Packing your e-cigarette for sailing will be almost the same as for flight. The problem with any electronic device with a lithium-ion battery is that it has a tendency to catch fire or explode if it suffers damage or overheats. That’s why strict guidelines are developed for transporting those items by ship or plane.
So this is how you should pack your vaporizer pen when going on a sea trip:
- Disconnect the battery. Take a spare one in case you won’t have an opportunity to charge the device. If you travel often, buy a special battery case. Thus, you prevent the batteries from damage.
- If the battery can’t be dissembled, make sure the power button is turned off and secured so that it can’t be turned on accidentally.
- Put your e-cig in its original box. Thus, it won’t move around inside your luggage and get damaged. If you lost or got rid of the box, find another proper carrying case.
- Don’t forget to take enough amounts of replaceable components, such as coils and wicks, and a charger.
And this is how you should pack e-liquids:
- Decide how much e-juice you need for your whole trip. It won’t a problem if you vape regularly. It’s important to stock the volume of e-liquid that is enough to last until return as you won’t be able to buy it on board. And what are the chances that you find your favorite brand in a place you’re traveling to?
- Store your e-juice in plastic bottles. The risk of cracking will be lower than with glass bottles.
- Place the bottles in a plastic bag with a zipper.
If you’re getting to the port by plane, you should follow the mentioned rules, plus a few more:
- Dissemble all the removable parts from your vape pen.
- Keep all vaping gear in your check-in luggage.
- Store your e-liquids in bottles that can hold no more than 100ml.
What Are the International Vaping Laws?
Many ships sail international waters where the international maritime law applies. In territorial waters, the laws of a particular country are applicable.
Some countries ban vaping. Lucky for vapers, local vaping bans don’t apply to ships in port. So you’ll only have to comply with the rules of the specific cruise line you’re sailing.
It’s very important for a vaping traveler to find out the laws of a chosen destination beforehand. Some countries ban vaping altogether. Others prohibit the use of nicotine-containing liquids. The regulations vary from country to country. You can check them on Wikipedia.
What if you dare to violate the law? The consequences may include confiscation of the vaping device, a fine, or even imprisonment.
The Consensus: Vaping on Cruises
Here’re some general tips for any vaper who is going on a cruise:
- Vaping regulations are constantly changing. Prior to your travel, either check your specific cruise line’s website or call for the currently policy.
- Make inquiries on the requirements for packaging for a smooth security check and overall onboard safety.
- Check the government websites of your destination countries and find out local laws and regulations regarding e-cigarettes use.
- In the first day, ask the staff if vaping is permitted, and clarify the areas where you’re allowed to do it.
- Comply with rules and be polite and courteous. Why ruin your own vacation by doing something your fellow cruisers are not fond of?
It may seem that a going on a cruise may be not the best way of traveling for a vaper. Indeed, it has some disadvantages.
You may not want to invest in a special carrying case for your vape and pack everything according to some requirements. But those rules are necessary for security staff, and it’s actually a comfortable and smart way of transporting your vape gear which decreases the risks of it getting damaging.
Be respectful and conscientious of the rules, and you’ll have a good time.
READ NEXT: Do You Need A Passport To Go On A Cruise?