Months into the cruise industry shutdown, Carnival Cruise Line is nearing the end of its crew repatriation efforts.
To date, more than 26,000 crew members have been repatriated worldwide, including thousands of crew members who are citizens of more than 25 different nations throughout the Caribbean and Latin America.
The cruise line said The Bahamas, Barbados, Colombia, Curacao, Mexico, Panama, St. Maarten, and Nicaragua have all assisted in getting crew home.
READ MORE: Carnival Fantasy Reportedly Sold
Each of the above countries went above and beyond with humanitarian efforts to get employees home, including chartering planes and using local ground transportation.
“Many of our partners in the Caribbean and Latin America have gone above and beyond in supporting our repatriation efforts and played a vital role in helping our team members return home safely,” said Christine Duffy, president of Carnival Cruise Line. “We offer our most sincere thanks to government officials, private transportation operators and maritime partners for their cooperation, hard work and gracious hospitality.”
By July 20, the company expects to have less than 400 crew members remaining onboard the 27 cruise ships, awaiting bordering openings and travel restrictions eased.
Carnival currently has a return to service date scheduled for October 1, 2020, pending the outcome of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control once return-to-service plans are submitted and approved.
- 2021 Cruising: Halifax Cruise Port Hopes For Best, Plans For Worst
- Carnival Corp. Celebrates Float-Out of New Ship
- Plugged-In: Electricity To Play Bigger Role In Powering Cruise Ships
- Cruise News Briefs — January 15, 2021 [VIDEO]
- All Air Travelers Coming Into U.S. Will Require Negative Test
- Celebrity Returns to Mexican Riviera Cruising After 8 Year Hiatus
- Bookings Open For Holland America’s 2022 Alaska Cruises
- Royal Caribbean Will Cruise From New Homeport Next Winter
- Cruise News Briefs — January 14, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Grand Cayman Says Cruise Ships Unlikely To Return in 2021
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Why Carnival Cruise Line Wants You Excited About Half Moon Cay
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Holland America Releases 2021-2022 Caribbean Cruise Schedule
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Ax Cruises Through April 2021
CRUISE NEWS2 days ago
Grand Cayman Says Cruise Ships Unlikely To Return in 2021