When it came time for Carnival Cruise Line to find a godmother for the Mardi Gras, they didn’t just scour the world, they searched the universe… or at least the Miss Universe pageant.
The Crucial Role Carnival Played
During this year’s Miss Universe competition, Kimberly Jiménez — who competed as Miss Dominican Republic — was not only named the ship’s godmother but presented with the Spirit of Carnival award.
The award was presented by Carnival Cruise Line’s president and CEO Christine Duffy, who served as a member of the Miss Universe selection committee, a distinction she took seriously.
Duffy said it was “not only a tremendous honor but a wonderful way to celebrate the accomplishments of so many smart and inspiring women from around the world.”
The Spirit of Carnival award was, Duffy said, presented to “a contestant who is a role model and shares our values of making others feel welcomed, valued and respected.”
Jiménez is a champion of at-risk youth and an advocate for adoption, having spent the past three years volunteering at a non-profit foundation that serves abused and abandoned girls. She is also a founding member of the Dominican Republic Women’s Club, dedicated to providing services to indigent women suffering from breast cancer.
“Kimberly is a role model for female empowerment,” said Duffy, “and has a passion for so many worthwhile causes, particularly those that assist women, children and families. It is such an honor to present Kimberly with the Spirit of Carnival award” and name her godmother of the line’s new ship.
Interestingly, Madeleine had been godmother of the Carnival Triumph and, when the ship morphed into Carnival Sunrise, Kelly became that ship’s title holder. And Kelly’s grandmother, Lin Arison, holds the position on Sunrise‘s sister ship, Carnival Sunshine.
Among a godmother’s primary duties are being on hand for the ship’s launch and naming ceremony, where they usually offer up a blessing before officially naming the vessel. And yes, the godmother usually cracks a bottle of champagne on the hull of the ship for good luck.
Watch: Mardi Gras Godmother’s Miss Universe Profile Video
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of June 6, 2021
- Another First as Royal Caribbean Ship Sails From Nassau
- USVI Governor Asks Florida’s DeSantis To Allow Cruise Line Vaccination Checks
- Celebrity Millennium Trip Report, Day 4: Changes in the COVID Era
- UPDATE: Two Celebrity Millennium Cruisers Test Positive, Protocols Work As Planned
- Carnival Staffing Entire Fleet — ‘We Want to Bring Back More Ships’
- Holland America Changes Rotterdam’s Inaugural Date, More Cruise Cancellations
- Cruise News Today — June 11, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Carnival Announces More Cruise Ships, Ports, Mardi Gras First Sailings
- Odyssey of the Seas Arrives to New Florida Homeport
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
PHOTOS: Welcoming Carnival’s Mardi Gras to Port Canaveral
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Royal Caribbean Says Unvaccinated Guests Will Face Restrictions, Higher Costs
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Carnival Announces More Cruise Ships, Ports, Mardi Gras First Sailings
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Mardi Gras Behind The Scenes: How Carnival’s First LNG Ship Fuels Up