For many cruisers, the crewmembers of the ships we sail become familiar faces. There’s the bartender who always treats us right, and the waiter who brings us that extra order of escargot because he knows how much we love it. We stay connected via social media, bring them little gifts to brighten their days, and seek them out on disembarkation day to say farewell and slip them a little extra cash for taken such good care of us.
And then there are… well, the others.
The ones who stand in long lines in order to have the daily gratuity charge removed from their bill (Oh, sure, they claim they tip privately, but most simply grouse that it’s not their responsibility to pay the ship’s staff). The ones who don’t say “thank you,” or worse, who are just downright rude. Those for whom your best will never be enough, and whose worst makes many of us cringe. The people who drop their trash in the hallway and tell themselves, “They have people whose job it is to pick it up.”
The ones who bark at bartenders and ignore waiters, and those who won’t take “No” for an answer even when it is, in fact, the answer.
On behalf of those people, let us say… “We’re sorry.”
If they happen to read this, those people will bristle. They will be offended that we dare to apologize on their behalf (But to be fair, they tend to be offended by everything). However, the rest of us — hopefully, the vast majority of us — want you to know just how much we appreciate everything you do.
The life of a ship’s crewmember is not an easy one. In most cases, they are away from their home and loved ones for months at a time. They work long hours under sometimes stressful conditions, yet they do their best to provide top-notch service to us — the temporary visitors to their home-away-from-home.
So, those of us who love cruising and take members of the crew to our hearts say “thank you.” Because in ways big and small, you help turn our vacations into memories we will never forget. And for that, we will always be grateful.
- Mardi Gras Trip Report, Day 1: Let’s Get This Party Started
- 13 Photos of the Rooftop Garden on Celebrity Edge
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of July 25, 2021
- Carnival Leads Port Canaveral Return with Mardi Gras Sailing
- Odyssey of the Seas Prepares For Inaugural Cruise
- Your Backstage Pass to Carnival Cruise Line’s VIP Party for Mardi Gras [PHOTOS]
- Viking Resumes Cruises on the Seine and Rhône Rivers in France
- Holland America Takes Delivery of New Flagship
- Royal Caribbean Adds Testing Requirement For All on U.S. Cruises
- Carnival Horizon, a Journey in Photos Day 4: Sea Day, Part 2
BEFORE YOU CRUISE5 days ago
MENU: Guy’s Pig & Anchor Smokehouse on Carnival’s Mardi Gras
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Two Big Changes to Guy Fieri Restaurants on Mardi Gras
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Former Carnival Cruise Ship Now Sails With Chinese Line
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Your Backstage Pass to Carnival Cruise Line’s VIP Party for Mardi Gras [PHOTOS]