Disney Cruise Line has announced two brand-new theatrical productions coming to its newest ship, Disney Wish.
Disney The Little Mermaid
“Disney The Little Mermaid” will be an original Broadway-style stage adaptation of the 1989 Disney Animation film developed exclusively for Disney Wish. During this unique production, audiences will rediscover the iconic scenes, acclaimed music, and beloved characters of “The Little Mermaid” while experiencing the story like never before.
In this modern-day retelling, the curtain will rise on an enchanted treasure chest at the moment it’s discovered by a group of storytellers, led by a special young woman who has the power to unlock its magic.
As they uncover the whozits and whatzits galore hidden in the trunk, the storytellers will take on the roles of Ariel, Ursula, Prince Eric, Sebastian, Flounder, and more, bringing to life the immersive undersea world. They’ll put their own contemporary spin on the timeless story of a young woman’s search for independence, love, and a place in the world.
The creative minds at Disney Cruise Line have joined forces with a team of top Broadway talent to bring the treasured tale to life through an elaborate and whimsical storytelling experience that provides audiences a new way to be part of Ariel’s world.
“Disney The Little Mermaid” will feature:
- New orchestrations of favorite songs like “Part of Your World,” “Poor Unfortunate Souls,” and “Under the Sea” will enchant audiences with moving ensemble pieces and breathtaking production numbers.
- Unexpectedly playful scenic designs and state-of-the-art video projections will transform the Walt Disney Theatre into a 360-degree undersea environment.
- Contemporary, interpretive costuming will reflect the show’s unique blending of a modern setting and a mystical, fantastical story.
- Cutting-edge puppetry will animate fantastical sea creatures and characters such as Sebastian, Flounder, Scuttle, and Flotsam and Jetsam in never-before-seen ways.
Disney Seas the Adventure
On the first night of the cruise, Disney Wish guests will embark on a musical voyage into some of their favorite stories during the original musical spectacular “Disney Seas the Adventure.”
When Captain Minnie hands over the helm to her dear friend Goofy, he’ll set sail into uncharted waters on a journey to discover his own inner captain. Along the way, Goofy will encounter Disney and Pixar friends who encourage him to lead with his heart through renditions of iconic Disney songs.
- Tiana will teach Goofy the power of hard work to make a dream come true during a performance of “Almost There” from “The Princess and the Frog.”
- Goofy will navigate to the big ocean blue where Crush and Squirt — the turtles from “Finding Nemo” — show him how to “Go with the Flow” in a production of the song fans will recognize from “Finding Nemo — The Musical” at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
- In an original arrangement exclusive to this show, heroines Elsa, Moana, and Merida will perform a powerful medley of “Let It Go,” “How Far I’ll Go,” and “Touch the Sky,” emboldening Goofy to go into the unknown.
- When Goofy loses his way and self-doubt takes hold once again, he’ll gain the courage to “Go the Distance” with the help of Hercules and a host of heroes from a variety of Disney films.
The adventure will culminate in a cavalcade of characters joining Captain Minnie and Goofy on stage during a grand farewell before leading guests out of the theater and into the Grand Hall for an unforgettable sendoff experience — the ultimate “kiss goodnight” to close passengers’ first day on the ship.
Pirate’s Rockin’ Parlay Party
Another passenger favorite Disney Cruise Line experience will return aboard Disney Wish in an all-new way with the premiere of Pirate’s Rockin’ Parlay Party, a new take on the line’s signature nighttime deck celebration.
On one special night of each cruise, passengers can don their pirate garb and head to the upper decks for a rock-and-roll extravaganza complete with fireworks.
Hosted by Captain Redd — a descendant of the famous red-headed rogue from the Pirates of the Caribbean theme park attractions — the show will feature live music, stunts, and special effects. Throughout the party, Captain Redd and her band of buccaneers will perform famous radio hits from the genre, plus a rockin’ rendition of the classic pirate tune “Yo Ho (A Pirate’s Life for Me).”
When Redd assembles a fearsome council of captains, including Captain Jack Sparrow, they’ll unlock a treasure that lights the night sky: a fireworks display underscored by an original arrangement of the soundtrack from the “Pirates of the Caribbean” films.
Disney Wish will debut from Port Canaveral in the summer of 2022.