Welcome to the Cruise Radio News Brief for the Week of April 4 , 2021, where we bring you the latest cruise news, our weekly podcast, and recent YouTube videos.
1. PortMiami hosted a press event in support of the cruise industry and its workforce. Working together, cruise line executives, elected officials, and Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava called on the C.D.C. to rescind the Conditional Sailing Order and get ships sailing from U.S. ports again.
2. Carnival Cruise Like and Royal Caribbean both responded after the La Soufriere volcano erupted this week on the Caribbean island of St. Vincent. As part of a humanitarian mission, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Legend, Serenade of the Seas, and Celebrity Reflection are set to carry evacuees to safety. Per Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves, only vaccinated people would be eligible to board the cruise ships.
3. Princess Cruises plans to leverage new satellites for “super-charged internet connectivity” in an attempt to attract remote workers to work from on board its ships. Promising land-like connectivity as part of its MedallionNet wifi service, Princess’ MedallionNet will offer seamless integration so passengers can access cloud-based applications such as storage, videoconferencing, and email while at sea.
4. Virgin Voyages canceled its inaugural season aboard Scarlet Lady from PortMiami and instead will head to the UK for a series of ‘Summer Soirée’ sailings. These sailings will only be open to residents of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, and passengers need to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
5. Disney Cruise Line celebrated the keel laying for its newest ship, Disney Wish. The ceremony was marked by a traditional keel laying and coin ceremony, while Captain Minnie Mouse was announced as the featured artwork on the bow of the ship.
Featured Article: Cruise Lines That Are Sailing in Summer 2021
Check out our list of which lines are sailing from where this summer. Though we may not be sailing from U.S. ports just yet, we will update this list as sailing schedules evolve with the C.D.C.
This Week’s Podcast: Empress of the Seas Review
Featured Video: Virgin Voyages Ship Tour
Watch the video below to get a taste for what a Virgin Voyages cruise experience will look like.
- MSC Cruises Launches Design Contest For Hull of Upcoming Ship
- CDC Extends Conditional Sailing Order Into January 2022
- Viking Cruise Ship Makes Inaugural Call in St. Kitts
- More Dining Details Revealed for Upcoming Disney Cruise Ship
- Cruise Ship Rescues 8 People Off the Coast of Florida [VIDEO]
- Norwegian Cruise Line Resumes Sailings From Los Angeles
- Royal Caribbean CEO: ‘It’s Time to Focus on the Future’
- Holland America Line Restarts Cruising from Florida
- Two Cruise Ships Meet in Bahamas for First Time [PHOTOS]
- Cruise News Today — October 25, 2021 [VIDEO]