1. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises have dropped the vaccine requirement for more voyages, with most sailings opening to everyone starting September 5.
2. Starting September 6, Carnival Cruise Line will begin accepting self-testing for unvaccinated guests to satisfy their pre-cruise test requirement.
3. For the first time in four years, Royal Caribbean is raising its gratuity rate by $1.50 for non-suite guests and by a dollar for those staying in suites.
4. Silversea Cruises has opened Antarctica bookings for its new expedition ship Silver Endeavour, which was previously Crystal Cruises’ Crystal Endeavor.
5. Norwegian Cruise Line has donated its piece of waterfront land in Juneau, Alaska for the development of a new pier.
Featured Article: Our 10 Favorite Travel Apps
For this week’s featured article, we put together a list of our ten favorite smartphone apps for travel, including apps focused on flights, hotels, hiking, general trip planning, and more. We detail some of our favorite functions of each app, and also include screenshots so you can get an idea of what they look like.
This Week’s Podcast: Harmony of the Seas Review
This week’s episode of Cruise Radio is a review of a recent Caribbean voyage on Harmony of the Seas out of Port Canaveral, Florida. Doug also goes over the latest cruise news with staff writer Richard Simms, and they answer a listener’s question about cruise ducks.
Featured Video: Cruise News Today
This week’s featured YouTube video is the Cruise News Today from Friday, August 26th. Doug goes over Carnival Magic skipping a call in San Juan due to protests, delays expected around Port Canaveral on Monday due to NASA’s scheduled rocket launch, and a new cruise port planned on Prince of Wales Island in Alaska.